Friday, August 1, 2014

How to Eat Vegetables Pt. 2: Quesatacos!

     Again with the vegetables. They're just not my style. But, we've all got to eat them one way or another. No, we can't just eat little cakes and pizzas and cheese forever- we might die that way. If anyone lives on a diet limited to those three things, do tell me the state of your health- I'm curious!
     The last recipe I posted that included vegetables is a bit misleading. Yes, it has vegetables, but it also has a great deal of oil and you can still get fat off of that. And getting fat doesn't sound all that amusing. So, you may be asking, HOW DO I EAT VEGETABLES... THE HEALTHY WAY? Well, that is a very good question. Sort of. You can eat vegetables in a healthy and filling way. I know, it sounds impossible, but it is indeed doable. The trick is, you have to fit carbs in there. And cheese. Lots and lots of cheese.
     So what does this all equate to? How can you eat vegetables in a healthy way? I thought you'd never ask. My one word answer: quesatacos. A quesataco is not something I invented, but whoever did is extremely brilliant. It's basically a taco, but made with a quesadilla instead of a hard taco shell. Ingenious, I know. So here's how to make them.
Zucchini Quesatacos with Pineapple Salsa
(Modified to fit my tastes from the original at Cozy Kitchen)
What you need:
1/2 pineapple, diced
2 serrano peppers, diced nice and small
1/4 cup red onion. diced
Juice of 1/2 lemon
A few sprigs of cilantro, chopped finely
2 zucchini
A few shakes of Tajin seasoning
A few shakes of chili powder
A few pinches of salt
Shredded Monterey Jack or Mexican Blend cheese
Corn tortillas (2 per taco, for as many tacos as you want. I used 8 today.)
Olive oil
Pam

First, take care of that pineapple salsa. Mix up the pineapple, peppers, onion, lemon juice, cilantro, and a bit of salt. The original recipe calls for 1 serrano pepper, but I don't do mild, so I use two when I make these. If you are not into spicy food, first of all, get off my blog, second of all, fuck you, you're not special, use two peppers anyway.
Next, take care of the zucchini filling. Dice the zucchini into uneven chunks, as so:
Now fry it up on medium heat in a pan with about a tablespoon of olive oil. Add some seasoning in there: Tajin, chili powder, and a little bit of salt. You can change up the seasoning depending on how you like it, but this is my favorite way to make it. You'll know it's done when the zucchini is a just verging on translucency. Also, if you're any sort of cook, you'll just know...

Set this aside and make your quesadillas! You should know how to make quesadillas. If you don't, then you should not be making this recipe. But here's how just in case:
Cover one corn tortilla in cheese, like so:
Top with another tortilla, and heat in a pan sprayed with Pam on medium heat. Flip it after the second side has barely browned. Or whatever. It's up to you. I like mine a little less crispy for this recipe, so I just wait until the cheese has melted.
Voila! Quesadillas!
Now for the taco assembly. My taco set up looked like this:
First the zucchini...
Then the pineapple salsa...
And then some extra cheese for added flavor...
AND BOOM! You've got yourself a quesataco. Now just hold it together and eat.

     On another note, I would like to address something which I mentioned in my first post. This blog is not for you- it is for me. So, if you ever feel offended, don't even bother trying to tell me so. I don't care. If you are offended, instead, do one of the following:
1) Pull your head out of your ass and deal. The world isn't all about you.

2) Go somewhere else with rainbows and unicorns where everyone is nice and polite. I challenge you to find this. I will applaud you. If you find it, tell me, because unicorns sound awesome.

Now go have fun with your tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment